Tuesday, January 20, 2015
Last September I decided it was time to replace my phone. I knew I wanted something powerful, with a good camera and good screen size for videos, images and online reading. What I bought wasn't technically a phone… I bought the Samsung Tab S 8.4 inch tablet. It was a completely spur of the moment decision to buy and I wondered if I had made the biggest mistake for a few days after- I can't say that I regret it now.Now to explain. I wanted to replace my phone because it was getting old and couldn’t do simple tasks, like connect to the internet, and would often poop itself when I tried. It was slow and the battery was starting to go as well. It was a hand-me-down from my mother so all was inevitable. I had in mind for my new phone something sophisticated and powerful. I had this idea of being able to sit down with it and browse the internet for a couple of hours, so I didn’t have to haul my laptop onto my lap all the time. We went to the mall to have a look. I looked at a few options, including the new Samsung notes and galaxy S5s. But to be honest, they were pretty pricey for their size. I had a look at the 10” tablets, getting a feel for them but I needed something a little more petite. Then I looked at the e-readers and smaller 7-8” tablets which felt alright.
Something that was important was the data capabilities and being able to connect to the internet anywhere. The reason I didn’t buy a smaller phone was that I felt that in the future I was going to buy a tablet and I didn’t want to be hauling a phone and tablet around where the only differences between them was size and sim card. Seems silly right? Although the phone part can be a little awkward at times, it’s heavily outweighed by its amazing functionality and other purposes. Being able to check the bus times, anywhere, anytime has been a godsend. When browsing Pinterest and Tumblr, pictures are flawless and adequate in size. It’s slim and fits like a book into my purse. The added case that I have on it keeps it safe, while adding just enough thickness and weight so it doesn’t slip from my hands.
When it comes to technology I can be very picky with what I want. I like having flashing new things that aren’t going to be outdated too soon. I like to the have the security that my device will be powerful and speedy for a reasonable amount of time before it needs to be replaced. I am very much confident that this tablet will do the distance for me.
However, there are a few things that I will mention:
• Flash doesn’t always work as my device is not supportive.
• I can’t use the TV3 On Demand app- actually very annoying.
• When on speaker, it will echo back to the caller.
• Due to its size, I generally can’t take calls in public unless I have my headphones with me (which I rarely do as they are currently broken).
• Cute cases are non-existent at this size (doesn’t mean I can’t make something myself…).
These are very small things to note, I must admit, and heavily outweighed by:
• The speed and power of the device.
• The resolution of the screen showing images and videos in amazing quality.
• The perfect physical size of the device for slipping into my handbag.
• Great apps for customization (a huge thing for me).
So, if ever you’re looking to buy a new phone, tablet, PC even, I would definitely recommend you look at something like this. You’d be surprised what these machines are capable of.
Thanks for tuning in to my very first Tech Tuesday post. Hopefully I can produce more of these in the future (I already have some lined up!). If you’ve got any suggestions feel free to comment below.
Chow,
Emily.
P.S- My Birthday is in two days!!!
P.S- My Birthday is in two days!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment