Monday, March 23, 2015
So it's been a busy few weekends. We've been to a few flat warmings, hiked up to a waterfall, walked around the city and made some amazingly cool friends. On Wednesday I also had a critique for my work which had a very positive response. Unfortunately now, I've hit a major creative block and trying my best to get back on schedule!
For now, let me show some photos of our trips around the Canterbury region with our new found friends from Nara, Japan....
Saturday 7, we were asked to show Natsumi and Kazuki (Natsumi is a friend of our friend Ayaka, who is from the same University) around the city. It wasn't the best weather and we did get caught out a little but here's a photo of Natsumi, Kazuki and Jonathan in the newly opened New Regent Street. We also took them to the new Cardboard Cathedral and an awesome cafe called C1, where the hot food is sent to you through a pipe system on the ceiling in pneumatic tubes.
Sunday, March 8, we went with the girls from Nara to Akaroa. The weather was not good. Very cold, windy and raining, which meant that our planned trip to go on the boat to see the Dolphins... was cancelled, again (we tried to go last year with the previous students). But, we still got to see classic New Zealand weather! We had all four seasons in one day! You'll see what I mean when you look at the photos (there are quite a few...).


And at the end of a long day, I had the most amazing woodfried pizza at the Hilltop Tavern which overlooks the harbor. I didn't take any photos in Akaroa, which is a little french inspired, sea side tourist town with very little to see and do... But they do have the most amazing fudge and fish and chips, and it's a beautiful little town to visit on a good day.
Monday, March 9 we went to Arthur's Pass. It was the first time I had been there. They have heaps of mountain tracks and insane uphill climbs. We went up a track called the Devil's Punchbowl, up to a waterfall basin which you can swim in, but the water is insanely cold. We also visited a cave and the Viaduct bridge that runs through a valley of mountains, where we met three very friendly Kea.
Thursday night, we said goodbye to our newly found friends from Nara Women's University, Japan. We had a spur of the moment trip to the local Uni bar and had a good dance by ourselves on the dance floor, to celebrate the end of their trip to New Zealand.
I have to say, my favourite part was going to Arthur's Pass. It reminded of the beauty that our country has to offer, why so many people come to breathe our air and why those here fight to protect what is left untouched. I'm proud to be a New Zealander.
Hope you enjoyed the long post,
Promise not to have them too often,
Emily.


































No comments:
Post a Comment