Sunday, March 1, 2014
Today was Canterbury Japan Day!


Jonathan and I took our friends Nakako and Sae, to the annual Canterbury Japan Day, a festival celebrating the huge Japanese community in Christchurch. Nakako is from Sonoda Women's University in Japan and we met when she came on an exchange two years ago. She was one of the first Japanese friends that I made. She is studying English here in New Zealand until December. I'll (hopefully) be leaving around August and we will cross paths again in Japan, then she can show me around, but for now I am trying to show her as much of Christchurch as I can!
We went around looking for food at first. We settled on Karaage (Fried Chicken Balls) and Yakitori (Fried Chicken Sticks) but they were going to take too long to cook, then we found Yakiniku (Fried Beef Sticks) which was very tasty. Then later we ate Yakisoba (Fried Noodles) and sat in the sun. Although the sun was beating down, the wind was super cold and it was a constant back and forth on the battle for sun and shade.
We spent a bit of time looking around for the stall selling the Japan Day merchandise and we had almost given up. It turns out they were in the very last room we went into. So we got ourselves another Japan Day Mug, Jono got a cute Pichu (Poke'mon) mask and I got a book of illustrations done by the Japan Day's artist.
We also tried Dango... which wasn't as I expected. The taste was fine (although I thought they were going to be hot), it was just like rice with a nice sweet sauce... but the texture was not what I expected- at all. Jono and I both couldn't handle it and we got laughed at. It worries me how much Japanese food I don't like...
It was an awesome day and I got to practice my Japanese- which needs a lot of attention before I can even think of heading over to Japan. I mean, I could talk to all the kiddies but I don't think that's going to work for long.
おひさしぶり!
Meaning: It's been a while.
Sorry I haven't been posting, It's been a hectic month trying to sort out the move and our internet, University for Jono and getting back into my studies as well. It's starting to settle down a little now, despite having a party almost every weekend until Jono's birthday and trips with the Japanese students here in Christchurch, school, skating, work and trying to get some freelance jobs on the side... So maybe it isn't quieting down after all. Going to enjoy it while I can though- I love the rush, I just hope it doesn't tire me too much.
Catch yall soon,
Emily.






No comments:
Post a Comment