Tuesday June 21 2016

This week I finally ventured into freelancing. I mean, I haven't done any freelance work yet but I have started planning to get it off the ground.
What have I learned in my first week of business?
I learned how to write a fairly detailed business plan.
Although ALL the nooks and crannies aren't sorted just yet, like the financial stuff, I have a detailed plan about where I see the business heading in the next few months, even years, and I feel confident that it's something that I can achieve.
CVs are difficult to write as a start-off freelancer.This week I also started working on my website design and CV. The CV was actually the hardest thing to get started (who would have thought!?). I didn't want it to be too "designery" and put off the average person, but I didn't want it be too boring either. I really struggled with it... So, I still don't have a CV, but, what I do have, is a website header and some really good ideas for my website (I even made a moodboard- go me!) and once I have all the elements for that, it'll be easy to place them into a CV format, taking the copy from my Behance and Linkedin page (thank you, past self). The only thing about not having a CV yet is that I can't sign up for any recruitment agencies, especially ones that help specifically in my field. So that's my goal next week!
Pinterest boards are the best, start one yesterday-pin everything and anything!
I found the Pinterest board that I made at the end of last year, aptly named "Business Strats", also really helpful. I was able to find so many resources, free worksheets, how-tos and inspirational people and their stories to read through. Seriously, the community for start-up bloggers, entrepreneurs and freelancers is fantastic! I wouldn't have felt so confident starting out if I didn't have the thousands and thousands of blogposts and bloggers around the world have offering their expertise online for people like little ol' me to find. So, big ups to them!
Sitting on the couch is bad for your back-no seriously...
Our living arrangements are a little crammed this year. Although we are saving quite a bit of money, I lost my "office" in doing so. To be fair, I never really used it once I finished uni because I was always working- but now, with Jono taking up the big desk in our bedroom with all of his study junk (and the better chair) and my desk taken up with all of my drawing supplies... it doesn't leave a lot of room to start a business... So, moving on. For the past week I've had myself set up on the couch and although I picked the "comfy" couch, I just made things worse on my back and my wrist. Moral of the story- sit at a desk.
Next week will be another learning experience and I'm looking forward to it. I'm actually really enjoying this. I don't have that feeling of "uh, I need to get back to work... but I can't be bothered..." I mean, sure, some days it's like that, but usually when I haven't taken a decent break yet and I have a few episodes of The Block to catch up on. It's nice having little goals to achieve to get me rolling like getting my CV done before talking to recruitment agencies and getting my website design done so that mark can code it (and then i'll have my own official website!). I guess once those things get underway, it'll be a bit of a waiting game. Also, having the blog series will be really good too, so that hopefully one day I can share these tips to people who are starting off just like me.
Have a good week guys!
Emily.
No comments:
Post a Comment