Wednesday November 18 2015
Heyo! The last few weeks have been full on at work, especially last week with the new website going live… check it what I’ve been working on here! (And why not buy something while you’re at it?) The days are getting warming here in Christchurch and I keep thinking how cold it’s going to be when I arrive in Japan. It’s going to be really cool (no pun intended) to have a winter Birthday for the first time, ever!
One of the really awesome things about the Lonely Planet guide book is the abundance of information on
Japanese hot springs called Onsen. In the Japanese alps, West of Tokyo, the
area is scattered with small Onsen towns, a lot of which are world heritage
sites. Most people just go here simply to bathe. It’s a definite must to travel to these while in Japan, not just for the
Onsen but for the hundreds of Minshuku and Ryoukan (Japanese Inns). Sadly my
budget this time might only allow me to visit these places on short day trips.
But I do intend to splurge a little and enjoy a needed stay in at least Ryoukan.
In Japan it's normal to bathe with others and although you do get a "modesty" towel, it's expected that you go into the water naked. Despite there being
mostly gender separated Onsen, I’m really nervous of the idea of bathing naked
with other people, but I guess if I’m the only one embarrassed, and everyone
else is used to it, I’ll be wasting my energy. It can’t be that bad, right?
I started writing this post on the bus, on my way to the ice rink for my weekly focus group.
Since starting full time I’ve been unable to make my usual four times a week
for coaching and skating. So progress has halted a little on that.
I’ve been debating if
it’s worth it or not to take my skates with me to japan; they are valuable and
they will weigh down my suitcase. But I’d be disappointed to make it to a Japanese
winter and not get to full enjoyment of ice skating in Japan. Will be a
struggle to make a decision on this one….
More on that later….
Thanks for tuning in
guys,
Emily.

No comments:
Post a Comment